How to Import Data into Workshop Software
When moving your data into WorkShop Software, it is important to recognise that historical data is the “real” asset in your Workshop business. It is the history of all the interactions you have had with your clients. As such, great care and thought should be taken when determining how to get this data into your new system.
As a general rule, the data that can be imported includes Customers, Suppliers, Stock and Vehicles.
We do offer a paid service to help you import the data for you but this is:
a) Subject to the availability of Workshop Software resource availability, and
b) Acceptance of data import quote provided by Workshop Software.
Importing data requires a good understanding in the use of Microsoft Excel. Commonly used Excel functions prepare your data for import into Workshop Software include “Text to Column”, “Find & Replace”, “Left”, “Concatenate” and “VLookup”.
Some points to be aware of include:
- All the data must be in CSV format using the Workshop Software provided templates below
- All mandatory fields (marked in YELLOW) in the templates must be populated
- All Commas must be removed
- Customers must be separated into Workshop Software Individuals and Companies
- Telephone incl mobile number formats must be in the recommended template format
If you still choose to import the data yourself, even in light of the warnings above, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you read ALL the instructions below BEFORE you start the import process. Once you start the import process, you CANNOT stop mid-flight.
These will give you a guide as to how the data needs to look and also advise of any mandatory fields or specific format requirements.
1. Click on Actions from the menu options down the left hand side of the page and then click on Import
2. Click the arrow at the right end of the blue bar to expand the menu of the data that you are wanting to import;
3. Click the button to upload your .csv file and then choose . Ensure that your import CSV file has a first ROW with all the required column names. If the first row of your file does NOT contain column names, then change YES to NO.
4. You can now “map” your data, which is the matching of your data into our system. The left column called “Yours” contains the rows of your data which you are “mapping” to the corresponding fields in our system called “Ours”. The middle field, called Fix It is used to format the data correctly and generally does not need to be used.
5. When you have matched up all your data with the correct Workshop Software fields click on the green Import Now button at the bottom of the page;
6. Once the import process is started you will get a drop down message to confirm how many records were imported and how many weren’t. If the import has too many fields that contain formatting errors the import will not go ahead and a red drop down bar will appear advising to check the Event Log for more details.
The Event Log can be accessed by click on Reports -> Business Reports -> Log Reports -> Event Reports
A PDF will then generate showing what records have not imported and why, the information on why is inside square brackets – ;
If the import is successful a green drop down bar will appear advising you how many records were imported and how many, if any, we’re not imported, as above, the Event Log can be used to show the reasons why data didn’t import.
- Once data has been imported it can be cleared by contacting Workshop Software on 02 9979 6090, clearing any data will also mean clearing any invoices created. In order to prevent errors it is a good idea to import a small amount of data first (4-5 entries) and if you are happy with how it imports you can then import the remaining data.
- If you are importing customers and vehicles each will need to have an ID number to link them, eg, if customer Jane Smith has two vehicles than Jane’s ID number and the ID number for the two vehicles will all be the same. Customers will need to be imported first.
- If you are importing products that you wish to link to suppliers, the product and supplier will need to share the same “Vendor Id” I.e. The supplier’s “Imported Id” will need to match the “Vendor Id” column on the product import sheet. Suppliers will need to be imported first
- Any fields that contain phone numbers can only contain numbers and spaces, any dashes, brackets or letters will need to be removed prior to import.
- When importing customers, first and last names need to be in separate columns for import.
If you require any further assistance with importing your data or have any questions about an import that is not working please either email us at [email protected] or call on 1300 729 658
Below are 6 templates that can be used as a guide to what can be imported and in what format:
Template specifically for importing marine vehicles: